Thursday, November 4, 2010

Before Five in A Row

I have started a dedicated learning time each day with my three-year old and one of the resources I have been using is a book called Before Five in a Row by Jane Claire Lambert. It is a book full learning activities for your children ages 2-4. The first part focuses on books to read with your child and activities you can do when discussing each book.

Before Five in a Row [Book]


Here are the books on the BFIAR book list:

  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? by N.W. Carlstrom
  • Yellow Ball by Molly Bang
  • My Blue Coast by Chris L. Demarest
  • The Little Rabbit by Judy Dunn
  • Ask Mr. Bear by Marjorie Flack
  • Blueberries For Sal by Robert McCloskey
  • Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
  • The Big Green Pocketbook by Candice Ransom
  • The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
  • The ABC Bunny by Wanda Gag
  • If Jesus Came to My House by Joan Gale Thomas
  • Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
  • The Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
  • The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
  • The Quiet Way Home by Bonny Becker
  • Play With Me by Marie Hall Ets
  • Prayer for a Child by Rachel Field
  • I Am An Artist by Pat L. Collins
  • Angus Lost by Marjorie Flack
  • Katy No-Pocket by Emmy Payne
  • We're Going On a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen
  • The Red Carpet by Rex Parkin
  • Corduroy by Don Freeman
  • Jenny's Surprise Summer by Eugenie


I have been checking out one of these books from the library each week to read and discuss. I also have been focusing on a letter of the week, which I'll be doing posts of each letter we do and suggested books and activities.

The second half of the BFIAR is full of creative ideas to do with your preschooler. Ideas range from activities to develop large motor skills (balancing, crab walk, skipping) to small motor skills (puzzles, cutting and pasting).

It is a resource I have enjoyed and recommend you checking out at your local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment