Monday, September 28, 2009

Lifelong Learning

“Lifelong learning is essential to the vitality of the human mind, body, and soul. It enhances self-worth and self-actuation. Lifelong learning is invigorating mentally and is a great defense against aging, depression, and self-doubt.”

-Robert D. Hales


I am a big believer in being a lifelong learner. My husband and I both would both be professional students if we could. We look forward to retirement and taking college courses in subjects that we would like to learn more about that we just didn’t have time to when working on our degrees. However, I have a long way until retirement so I enjoy learning now through ways such as reading, learning new skills, watching documentaries and attending cultural events.


I am a huge fan of the local library. It is a free way to learn on about any subject you would like. I love the site Goodreads and have a list of books I want to read so before I head to the library I find a couple of books on my list and put them on hold at the library. That way I always know the book I would like is available.


I also enjoy attending theater productions. It isn’t something I get to do often, but I try to go at least once per year. You don’t have to spend a ton of money either. You can go to the high school productions, community theater, or get discount tickets the day of the production. I recently saw Wicked and absolutely loved it!


Movies and documentaries are also a fun way to learn. The local library is a great place to get educational or classic videos. Again, a free way to learn. I love movies with stories that get you thinking about the people and the time period and their struggles. Not only are they entertaining but educational. I’ve listed some of my recommended movies to watch below. Make sure to leave a comment with your suggestions! Click here for Top 100 movies of all time.


Singin’ in the Rain

Oklahoma!

The Last Emperor (fascinating look into China)

Pride and Prejudice (BBC version)

Sound of Music

Ten Commandments

Gone with the Wind

No comments:

Post a Comment