Saturday, May 30, 2009

June's Must Read: Rebecca by Daphne Du Mauier

Last month the book club I belong to read Rebecca by Daphne Du Mauier. This Gothic novel had me hooked from the beginning. The book is full of twists and turns that will keep you wondering.

The book has many similarities to Charlote Bronte’s Jane Eyre (which is one of my all time favorites). Many call it the Jane Eyre of the 20th century. The book begins in Monte Carlo where we meet our young narrator. She works as a companion to a wealthy woman and sees to her every whim. It is here that the narrator meets Maximilian de Winter, a wealthy, well-know Englishman and owner of Manderley (famous estate) whose wife recently died.

Without spoiling the plot, I won’t go into much detail of the rest of the story. I will say the narrator does find herself living at Manderley and has to deal with the unfriendly housekeeper Mrs. Danvers (pictured below)

and the strong memory of Mr. de Winter’s recently deceased wife, Rebecca. The book unfolds to a riveting mystery full of suspense, love, and drama.


Once you read this, I recommend watching the movie by Alfred Hitchcock. It is well done. You will understand the movie more if you first read the book. It follows the book almost exactly except for one change…I can’t say what it is or it will ruin it for you.

I hope you enjoy this read! I sure did.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I've read it twice and just adore it. I love how DuMaurier never says the protagonist's name...cool touch.

    ReplyDelete