Friday, February 20, 2009

Freezable Chicken Pot Pie

I love this recipe because I get two dinners from 15 minutes of active prep time. My mom first introduced homemade chicken pot pie to me after I had my son. She made us one for dinner one night and put another one in our freezer to have after she went back home. This is a great meal to take to someone who is sick or just had a baby. Give them both pies—one to eat that night and one to stick in the freezer.


I use the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts to keep the recipe quick and easy, but you can certainly make your own. I usually use Pillsbury pie crusts for all the pies I make and I’ve had a couple people ask for my recipe. They really do taste homemade! Now, I know, pie crusts aren’t the healthiest things, so if they aren’t allowed in your daily diet you can just eat the filling with a piece or two of whole wheat bread. Everything inside the crust is very healthy.

Freezable Chicken Pot Pie

2 packages Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts

3 cooked chicken breasts, diced (save your chicken broth from cooking the chicken)

1 bag (12 oz) of frozen peas and carrots

1 medium onion chopped

½ cup butter

½ cup flour

2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (or a 14 oz can plus a bit of water)

2/3 cup fat free milk

Salt and pepper to taste


Melt butter in large sauté pan and then add onions and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Then add salt and pepper. Next mix in the flour while continuously whisking. Add the chicken broth and milk and mix until smooth and thick. Turn off heat. Add the frozen peas and carrots and chicken. I like my filling thick; if you want yours a bit runnier, just add a bit more milk.


Put the pie crusts in two ungreased 9-inch pie pans. Add the filling and then place the second pie crusts on top of both pies. Cook for 25 minutes at 425 degrees or until crust is golden brown.


To freeze pie, simply cover with aluminum foil and then place inside a large freezer bag. To eat the frozen pie, get out the night before you eat and place in the refrigerator to thaw. Cook for 25 minutes at 425 degrees. If you are cooking the pie frozen, cook at 425 degrees for around an hour. For best results, thaw before cooking.

1 comment:

  1. I made this for dinner tonight. Yummy! Thanks for the dinner idea. Keep the recipes coming!! I need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete