Friday, May 14, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam using Aguave

Last year I posted a simple freezer jam recipe using Ball's Simple Creation No-cook Freezer Jam Pectin. Since strawberries are now in season and we recently ran out of jam, I decided it was time to make more. I have heard of people using agave so I recently bought some and decided to try it with my jam. Agave is sweeter than granulated sugar, so you use less of it when making the jam.

Here is the recipe:

4 cups crushed strawberries
1 package Ball's Simple Creation No-cook Freezer Jam Pectin (update: pectin repackaging now looks like this.)
3/4 cups agave


Mix the agave and pectin in a large bowl. Wash your strawberries (I like to spray with this fruit/veggie cleaner first), remove stems, and cut in half and place in food processor or blender.

Place the four cups of crushed berries into the large bowl with pectin and agave. Mix for 3 minutes and then pour into jam containers. Let jam thicken for 30 minutes before placing in the freezer.

That's it. No cooking required. You just simply mix. I love this pectin!

This is a very healthful jam and I really can't taste a difference between using agave and sugar.

Here is a break down of the cost of this jam. I got 5 jars of jam.

Strawberries - $2
Agave - 2.25 (estimated by how much I used of the bottle)
Pectin - 1.42

Total - $5.67
Total per jar - $1.14

You definitely can't buy a jar of jam for that much at the store, especially one that contains agave! This only took me a 1/2 hour start to finish and is something anyone can do. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! I have been wanting to try my hand at freezer jam. I have been curious about the agave as well--but I have read it can cause diabetic comas! I'm not diabeti though, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

    Anyway.

    ReplyDelete