Sunday, April 11, 2010

Making a pillow sham


I wanted to make pillow shams to match my new quilt for our bed. I found a tutorial online here that I liked and followed its basic guidelines.

Supplies:
Pillow or pillow insert
Fabric
Thread
Silk flower or button (optional) to decorate solid color pillows

Directions:

1. Measure your pillow's width and height.
2. Cut the fabric. The size will be the height plus 1" and the width plus 6" if making a sham for a rectangle pillow. If making a sham for a square pillow it will be the height plus 1" by the width plus 3". The fabric is simple to cut if just using one piece of fabric. In my case, I patched together several different pieces of fabric so I had to do some calculating to make sure my end result equaled those calculations.
3. On the short ends of the fabric, fold the fabric over 1/4" and press and then fold over another 1/4" and press.
4. Sew a hem along the folded short ends.
5. Lay fabric right side up on work surface. Fold short ends in toward middle until cover is width of pillow. The fabric will overlap about 2.5 inches in the middle.
6. Sew two long edges with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
7. Flip pillow cover right side out. Stuff with pillow through envelope enclosure.
Optional step 8. Sew silk flower or buttons on pillow (I am going to do that to my plain brown square pillow)

No comments:

Post a Comment