Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tasty Tuesday: Waffles with berries and cream

I really should have my husband write this post, because he is the waffle maker in our home. I am just the main consumer. I love waffles. I could eat them every morning, especially when they are topped with fresh berries and whipped cream.

This is the recipe I grew up with and it is the best Belgium Waffle recipe I've come across. It is altered a bit to make it a little healthier. My husband added chocolate chips to these waffles. It definitely is a great addition. Belgium Waffles
Makes 5 waffles

2 eggs separated
2 cups milk
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 T ground flax seed (optional)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup applesauce

Place egg yolks and milk in a large bowl. Beat well. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Beat until smooth. Stir in melted butter (make sure it is not too hot) and applesauce. In a separate bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the rest of the batter. The egg whites will make the waffles light and fluffy. Cook waffles in a Belgium waffle maker. You may add a few chocolate chips or blueberries to the batter, if desired.
Top with fresh berries and whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, those berries look amazing on that waffle...yum!!! I love Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete