Saturday, May 2, 2009

May's Must Read: Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

For May's "Must Read" I picked a favorite from my childhood, Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. This is a book I still enjoy reading as an adult and pick it up every couple of years to re-read. As a child playing "spy" was a favorite pastime and I've always wanted to write a book. In many ways I can relate to Harriet.

Harriet is a aspiring writer who has a journal she takes everywhere. She writes down everything she observes about everyone, which always isn't nice. She has a spy route she covers each day after school of people totally unaware of her existence. Her journal entries are often hilarious. She is brutally honest.

Harriet's journal leads to some trouble for her in the book. Read this book to find out what kind of trouble she finds herself in and how she deals with it.

This is a fun read that both adults and children will enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun for the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I really love this book too! It's one of my treasured book in the shelf.

    ReplyDelete