Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Whole Wheat Pizza

Pizza is one of my favorite foods. I make it a couple times each month. I know lots of families have a pizza and movie night and I think that is such a fun idea. I’ve been thinking about starting a Saturday night family night with pizza, games, and movies. Pizza is a fun food and if done right can be healthful. I have other pizza ideas I will be posting in the future, but today I am sticking with the traditional pizza with red sauce and mozzarella cheese.
After looking at the calories in popular pizza brands here, you’ll probably be wanting to make your own pizza. The only meat I add when doing a healthier pizza is chicken breast. There are all kinds of fun veggies you can add. Some of my favorites are listed below:

Mushrooms
Roasted red pepper
Spinach
Onions
Fresh Tomatoes
Sun dried tomatoes
Artichokes

Whole Wheat Pizza
1 loaf of Rhode’s Whole Wheat Bread (or any other wheat dough you like)
Pizza Sauce
1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 cooked chicken breast (optional)
Veggies (see healthy veggie ideas above- I used mushrooms and red onions that I sauteed in a little olive oil before putting on the pizza)

Thaw dough according to package instructions. Roll dough out on a pizza stone or pan. Note: This does make a thick crust. If you like a thinner crust, you probably could get two pizzas out of one bread loaf. Poke with a fork and drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with a few herbs, such as Italian seasoning. Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.
Pull out of the oven and add sauces, cheese, and toppings. Put bake in the oven for 10 more minutes or until crust is golden brown. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy. I use about 9 of the rhodes rolls for my crust and it actually comes out pretty thin. We love to do ranch chicken pizza(ranch dressing for the sauce, chicekn, bacon bits and fresh tomato) and BBQ chicken (BBq sauce, chicken, mushrooms and black olives.....mmm,, gotta love a good pizza!

    ReplyDelete