Monday, January 26, 2009

Make your own children's books

I love books, especially children’s book. Children’s books are where the love of reading begins. And what child (or what person really) doesn’t like a book about him or herself? I haven’t met one. I have made my son a couple of books and he absolutely loves them. They are already “loved” and a bit sticky, but I am glad he enjoys flipping through the pages.


Some of you may have seen the colors book I made a couple months ago. I was able to put together a really fun book to teach my son his colors. I used the website shutterfly.com, which has many page layouts to choose from. I simply chose a layout for each page and inserted my pictures. I had a picture of my son on the left hand side of each page wearing a solid colored shirt and then the opposing page I chose three well-known things that are that particular color.

I recently made him another book to learn the names of his family members, such as parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles. I bought blank board books to do this from a company called Blank Slate Board Books on Amazon. For $20, I received four blank board books (shown below), labels to print to books pages onto, and a cd with templates. I kept the book really basic and just put the picture of the family member and his/her name beneath. My only complaint with the books is the labels where the book pages are printed don’t wipe clean. My son already has dirtied a few pages. I am looking for some kind of clear protector sticker I can put on top before I make the other three books. I’ll keep you posted if I find anything.

There are endless book ideas. I want to make an emotions book next that has my husband and I pictured with expressions such as silly, happy, angry, surprised, frustrated, bored, sad, scared, shy, etc.


Happy book making!

No comments:

Post a Comment