So what are the benefits of flax seed? Benefits are thought to include:
- High in fiber, omega-3 fatty acids "good fat"
- Reduces cholesterol
- Lower chances of heart disease
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Reduces inflammation associated with many diseases, such as arthritis and lupus
- Can be used in place of eggs in muffins, pancakes and cookies. To substitute flaxseed for one large egg in a recipe, use 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed plus 3 tablespoons water. Keep in mind that it will somewhat alter the texture of the finished product, making it slightly "gummy." Source, Mayo Clinic.
- Put inside waffles, muffins, cookies, and other items you bake
- Toss salads with flax oil and vinegar
- Sprinkle on top of yogurt, hot and cold cereal
- Mix into smoothies
- Mix into meatballs
- Mix into mayo and mustard when making a sandwich
- Sprinkle on top of cooked veggies