Thursday, December 9, 2010

Polish Tea Cake Cookies (aka Thumbprint cookies)


This is my favorite holiday treat. My grandma always made these every Christmas and my mom always did, too. They are especially tasty if you fill them with homemade jam.

Ingredients:
-1 cup butter, softened
-1 cup sugar
-2 egg yolks
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 cups flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 egg whites
-2 cups chopped pecans
-About 1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam or preserves

Cream butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla. Then add the flour and salt to the mixture. Roll dough into cookie balls and roll in egg whites and then in chopped pecans.

Place on cookie sheet and press middle of cookie with a thimble or wooden end of spoon. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes and then press middle of cookie down again and bake 5-7 more minutes.

Don't overcook. When cookies are cool place jam in the middle of cookie. Makes 3 dozen.

This is me six years ago showing off my first attempt at making Christmas goodies, including making Polish Teacakes for the first time by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment